Monday, June 9, 2008

Shiloh National Cemetery

There are battlefields, and then there is Shiloh. The expanse, the preservation, the markers and monuments, the beautiful natural vista … it’s tough to beat for a Civil War fan. I am doing a more intense tour of the military park tomorrow, but I drove around it this evening to get the lay of the land and visit the national cemetery. There is something about walking among the graves markers as the sun is setting. I did the same thing at Fredericksburg two years ago with a similar emotional result. The tranquility of the setting and the timing was awesome, and reminded me of one of my favorite CW poems (I’m glad I had a copy in my notes). Wisconsin has a few prominent markers, including the 6 color bearers who fell during the battle and are buried overlooking the Tennessee River. I couldn’t have asked for a better end to the day.

1 comment:

Reference Services said...

Your blog is great! Here is the url
of the blog from the Archives of the Sandusky Library, if you care to take a look:

http://sanduskyhistory.blogspot.com/search?q=moses